Tuesday, September 11, 2007


DIG out those unwanted suits that still ooze style but may not be perfect for your wardrobe – the Thrive Suit Amnesty is just weeks away.

The initiative to provide suits to men and women looking for jobs, who may not be able to afford their own outfits, was officially launched late last week – weeks ahead of the amnesty that takes place on Friday, October 12th at the ICC.
The driving forces behind the amnesty are Graham Nicoll, an associate director at Barclays Wealth, and corporate fundraiser Fidelis Hynam who were inspired at a Thrive forum brain-storming session.

Graham explained that the suit amnesty idea evolved when a discussion began about the number of suits many business people own but rarely wear.
“The idea was borne out of a thought that those in the fortunate position of working in business could actually make a difference to people who were looking for jobs by donating their suits,” said Graham, who is on the committee of Coventry & Warwickshire Prince’s Trust.

“Very often there are people with less privileged backgrounds who don’t have access to funds and are trying to get a job but want and need some help to get on the ladder.”

One of the first to pledge his support is Iain Ross-Mackenzie, Operations Director at Mechu, who dug out a favourite suit to donate to the amnesty.
He said: "I think the amnesty is absolutely fantastic – everyone in business should donate a suit. Along the years there have been times when I have been strapped for cash, I think everyone has at some point. "Everybody should donate a suit – it might change someone's life." The suit that Iain is donating certainly changed his life.

He recalled: “This suit is a Dehavilland suit, I got it from somewhere like Moss Bros, it was something like £150; I bought it for an interview at Live Café when I first started working for the management company that became Living Ventures, owners of The Living Room. ”It was bought in May 2000 for an interview in June 2000; I drove to Manchester to meet a guy on a building site and the interview lasted 35 seconds – he came down a ladder with a hard hat on, he said 'Hi, my name's Tim, this is my building – can you fill it?' I showed him my ideas, he looked at them and said 'yes, look forward to seeing you next week, you look fantastic' and went back up the ladder.

“My father always said 'for interviews, always be smart'; first impression last." The idea has already caught the imagination of businesses – Mailwash, the Broadway Plaza based dry cleaners, have pledged to ensure the suits are in first class condition before being delivered to charities.

Final decisions still need to be taken on which charities will receive the suits and it is hoped any organisations who want to be part of the amnesty should get in touch.

Fidelis said it was important that the idea is kept simple and straight forward.
“The suit amnesty is just one part of the jigsaw. There is always a lot more people can do but we want to show how a simple idea can work in practice,” she said.

“We are hoping people will see the value in donating a suit that is still presentable and would make the right impression at an interview.”
People prepared to ‘champion’ the idea in their own firms are still coming forward and the hope is that others will get in touch to lend their support.

Anyone who can help support the Thrive suit amnesty should get in touch with
graham.nicoll@barclays.com or contact Thrive writer Annie Roberts – annr@dircon.co.uk or 01536 263472.

Charities who feel they could use the suits to benefit individuals they support should contact Fidelis Hynam on 07739728566.

2 comments:

Jeet said...

Great story! Lots of work went into this one. I appreciate that. I see so many story with little content. Come check out my story and let know what you think...?

Karen Paul said...

Greetings everyone, my name is Karen Paul I am from wales I have heard about this loan officer called Mr Benjamin Lee and his investors that are helping people with loans all around the world truly I found people testified about his wonderful work and I was surprised why I did not find this company on time. I never believed what the people said about the company until I apply and gave it a try the amount I was looking for was big and it was for a real estate the loan amount was $10.5 million US dollars and so I applied and Mr Benjamin lee talked to me but since my loan was large it took just 5 working days to receive my loan cause they told me there loan service was 48 hours to receive loan. The only thing he told me to do was to deposit the application fee which the it's was processing fee to process my loan  when he told me that once I was afraid it was a scam but I said let me give it a try I deposited the application fee which was stated and that was all I deposited behold in less than 5 working days like he said truly I received a message from my bank that sum amount of money which was $10.5 million US dollars has been credited in my bank account and everything about the money the details and who it came from was there behold it was Mr Benjamin Lee loan company who helped me when i first saw it I was surprised i never believed my eyes but it was true. So I told my self since other people that the company helped testified about there good deeds let me do mine cause to not easy to see a legit loan company online this days so anyone from anywhere who needs an online loan without getting cheated apply from this company cause they only that can help i have confirmed it and it is true I am so happy and I know this company will make other people happier than me. You can contact this company via mail or Whatsapp but I used Whatsapp cause it was faster mail address of the company is +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com. Thanks everyone regards from Karen Paul from Wales.